Herbs For Diabetes – Can Herbal Supplements Lower Blood Sugar
Herbs have been used for centuries in treating diabetes or in preventing it. As long as you choose a wise combination of herbal supplements and also keep a healthy diet, diabetes can be easily prevented. Herbal supplements are also effective in those who already developed the disease because it can help them keep it under control. Besides the diabetes itself, they do a lot of good in what concerns complications of this disease due to tissue damage. Herbs used in patients with diabetes usually have no side effect and are safe to be taken for longer periods of time.
Herbal supplements that lower blood sugar and keep diabetes under control are –
1. Gymnema Sylvestre – It is highly recommended in Type 2 diabetes because it stimulates the pancreas to produce Reversirol insulin and thus the level of blood sugar decreases. The usual dose is of 500 mg per day and patients also report a decrease in their appetite for sweets.
2. Asian ginseng – It has the same effect and assists the pancreas in producing insulin. The blood sugar is also lowered.
3. Cinnamon – Mostly used as a spice, it also has a positive effect on the health condition. It converts glucose into energy faster and it also makes fat cells respond quickly to insulin. Diabetes complications are also prevented by cinnamon because it inhibits the action of free radicals, substances that damage the cells.
4. Blueberry leaves – They contain and active substance called myrtillin and it has a very powerful action. A single dose will improve the patient’s condition for a period of several weeks. Besides, they also improve the condition of capillary blood vessels and reduce the action of free radicals.
5. Fenugreek seeds – The active compounds called trigonelline is lowering the blood sugar fast. Fenugreek seeds have been used as a remedy for many medical conditions and it turned out that they are also helpful in diabetes. A common diabetes complication is the fact that wounds are not healing adequately and fenugreek seeds are also fighting this complication.
6. Amla – It provides a wide range of benefits for the health, these including the lowering of blood sugar and the lowering of body fat. Amla is very rich in Vitamin C and it is also used in lung diseases, urinary or gynecological problems and in improving the eye condition.